Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Free Range Kids

Today, I craved a sandwich that I haven't eaten in YEARS! A peanut butter and Doritos sandwich. Some of you may gag at the thought of that combination, while others may be wondering how I came up with that concoction in the first place.

It happened years and years ago when I was a kid. My parents left me home alone during the summer months while I was off on summer break. While they were off at work, it was my responsibility to make my own meals. Basically, I was a young kid experimenting in the kitchen and trying to figure out a way to shorten eating time to be able to get back out and play with the neighborhood kids. My lunches usually consisted of a sandwich and chips, well, I combined them and...Viola, a masterpiece!

Anyhow, it got me thinking about my kids and summertime. I was a product of a time when kids were allowed to roam free without an elevated risk of abduction, getting lost or hit by a car. It makes me wonder what kind of summers my kids are going to grow up having as I have been known to sort of be a helicopter mom, meaning I hover over my kids every possible minute. This also means, my kids depend on me for absolutely everything.

I recently discovered a website about free range kids, and since then, I have been "free ranging it" in hopes that my kids will learn a little independence and confidence. I urge anyone who reads this to check it out. Free Range Kids isn't for everyone, but a lot of what the lady says makes enough sense that it was worthwhile to evaluate my parenting style, and you may think so as well.

We are starting in little steps. I think it's important to really consider your child's abilities (among other factors that may be unique to the area in which you live) and not what most 7 year olds can do unassisted. For instance, there is a kid in Kaetlyn's grade (but is about the size of my 3 year old) who rides a bike that is way too big for him without training wheels (or a shirt, yeah he's pretty bad ass) all over town. His parents, apparently, have been "free ranging it" for awhile. My daughter, ALWAYS wears a shirt while outdoors (hehe), and rides with training wheels, she is nowhere near being able to remove them. But the point is that I could NEVER let her ride her bike around town on her own, she would get totally completely lost. And I am fairly certain she has no idea what to do when losing herself happens.

But we are taking the steps to get there. We go on bike rides together (actually I walk alongside Alex) and I let her lead the way and allow her to determine when it's safe to cross the street. And I let her ride ahead of us. She loves this, and feels so grown up and important...especially when she beats us home. So she is getting there. But the most important part is seeing a more confident 7 year old.

We free range in other ways, too. Simpler ways. Ways that a weary parent could begin with his/her child. My kids have began picking out their own clothes, and I do not advise them differently...Hey! They've got to start somewhere, and I don't want to be picking out clothes for my kids even after they've gone off to college!
Alex picked this out today. His favorite shirt with blue shorts that have cream colored "Jolly Rodgers" on them. It matches in HIS mind!

I also have been allowing them to choose what they eat for lunch. They have chosen pizza sandwiches for the past several days. Normally, it would bother me to have them eat the same thing two days in a row, but we're almost out of pepperoni and then they'll have to choose something else ;)

Another thing I strongly suggest (when your kids seem ready) is to let your kids play outside by themselves. Even if you're sitting inside in the AC watching your kids through the window like a hawk. They'll surprise you. I did this with my kids, and guess what?? They stayed in the yard. They really did!! There is a whole wide world for your kids to explore in their yard, regardless of how much space there is for the kid to play. And kids really do enjoy being able to look for bugs, collect sticks, and play with their outdoor toys without mom or dad hovering.

Have a happy "Free Range" summer!!
xoxo Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment